This website provides information on making schools safe and maintaining a caring school climate; facilitating students' holistic developing; and enhancing student motivation, self-expectations and high achievement.
The tenants of optimal social/emotional health include the following goals:
- Each student enters school healthy and learns about and practices a healthy lifestyle.
- Each student learns in an intellectually challenging environment that is physically and emotionally safe for students and adults.
- Each student is actively engaged in learning and is connected to the school and broader community.
- Each student has access to personalized learning and is supported by qualified, caring adults.
- Each graduate is challenged by a well-balanced curriculum and is prepared for success in college or further study and for employment in a global environment.
Social Emotional Development and Learning (SEDL) begins at home and is facilitated through supportive school and classroom environments; school, family and community connections; skills acquired pre-K to 12 through instruction and mentoring; after school, extra-curricular and service learning programs; school and community prevention and intervention services; and professional development for all staff.