Select language

Transitions to Adulthood

ADA, Section 504 & Postsecondary Education

Resource Author/Owner/Service Provider

PACER Center


It is important that students and their advocates become knowledgeable about their rights and responsibilities in postsecondary education. Although protections exist, the students have considerably more responsibility in postsecondary education to request their own accommodations. This responsibility is ongoing. For many students with disabilities, good self-advocacy skills are the key to success, and knowing their rights is one essential element of effective self-advocacy.




AccessibilityAdvocacyDisability DisclosureDisability RightsHigher EducationInformation and ReferralLife Skill DevelopmentLife TransitionsSelf-AdvocacySpecial Education/IEP/504 a or bTransition PlanningTransitions to Adulthood

Related Terms

higher educationspecial educationstudents with disabilities
Return to
your search results
Return to
all resources


In an Emergency, Call 911

Looking for help in
non-emergency situations?

Call 211 or
Call 311 in New York City

NY Connects

Suicide Crisis Hotline
1-800-273-TALK (8255) Toll Free
1-800-799-4889 TTY

Child Abuse & Maltreatment Hotline
1-800-342-3720, Toll Free
1-800-638-5163, TTD/TTY
1-800-342-3720, NY Relay

Vulnerable Persons Central Register (VPCR) Hotline
1-855-373-2122 Toll Free
1-855-373-2123 TTD/TTY

A-Z of Disabilities and Accommodations
(800) 526-7234 Toll Free
(877) 781-9403 TTY

Become a Family Peer Advocate (FPA)
1-888-326-8644 Toll Free

Disability Resource Clearinghouse and Navigators
1-800-624-4143 Toll Free
7-1-1 NY Relay

High School Equivalency/Test Assissing Secondary Completion HSE/TASCâ„¢

Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) Questions
1-888-NYSHESC (1-888-697-4372) Toll Free

Social Security Office Locator
1-800-772-1213 Toll Free

Vital Records
1-855-322-1022 Toll Free

Work Incentives Hotline
1-888-224-3272 Toll Free
1-877-671-6844 TTD/TTY

Family/Youth Support and Peer Advocacy

Information and support for individuals and families with behavioral, emotional, physical and/or mental health challenges.

Financial Assistance

Help given to a person or organization in the form of money, loans, reduced taxes, etc.

Developed by the Council on Children and Families and Funded by the Developmental Disabilities Planning Council