Select language

Alternative Schools/Trade Schools/BOCES

Residential School Transition Coordinators

Resource Author/Owner/Service Provider

NYS Office for People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD)


Students at residential schools are entitled to remain at school until they complete their educational requirements or until the end of the school year in which they turn 21. Once students complete their schooling, the Office for Persons with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) is responsible for their adult services, and students can only remain at school until OPWDD offers appropriate adult services. OPWDD is committed to helping students at residential schools transition to adult life by ensuring needed supports are in place when students age out of school. Age out coordinators can help students and families learn about residential support options, as well as employment and other day supports. 

This website provides a listing of residential school transition coordinators by regions.



AdvocacyAlternative Schools/Trade Schools/BOCESFamily/School CommunicationGeneral Support for FamiliesInformation and ReferralLife TransitionsOut of District PlacementsSpecial Education/IEP/504 a or bTransition PlanningTransitions to Adulthood

Related Terms

adulthoodaging outeducationservicestransition
Return to
your search results
Return to
all resources

Developed by the Council on Children and Families and Funded by the Developmental Disabilities Planning Council