Select language

Program/Service Information

Interagency Coordination and Case Resolution Bureau

Resource Author/Owner/Service Provider

NYS Council on Children and Families (CCF)


The Hard to Place/Hard to Serve Unit works to assist caregivers and individuals in receiving the most appropriate community-based or residential services; minimize delays in arranging services or placements; and resolves barriers that impede timely service delivery or placement. 

The Hard to Place/Hard to Serve Unit becomes involved ONLY after all program options and dispute resolution procedures have been exhausted at the local and regional levels, or if a caregiver feels their child's needs are not being met by existing systems. 

How to Make a Referral

The agent making a referral on behalf of a child must provide the Council with the following:

  • a completed Hard to Place Unit Intake Form and a signed Release of Information Form;
  • a description of the barriers encountered in attempting to provide appropriate services or placement;
  • a record of the efforts that have been made by the referral source or others to secure services and/or placements for the child; and
  • background information on the child's special needs.

A referral containing all of the information mentioned above may be submitted to:

Regina Canuso, Coordinator, Hard-to-Place/Hard-to-Serve Unit 

Kathleen Rivers, Assistant Coordinator, Hard-to-Place/Hard-to-Serve Unit

Interagency Coordination and Case Resolution Bureau
NYS Council on Children and Families
52 Washington Street
West Building, Suite 99
Rensselaer, NY 12144

Telephone: 518-473-3652
Fax: 518-473-2570

Additional Information

Hard to Place / Hard to Serve Informational Brochure Translate

Contact Information/Service Locations

Interagency Coordination and Case Resolution Bureau

52 Washington Street, Suite 99W
Rensselaer, NY 12144


9:00 - 5:00

Get Directions



Regina Canuso, Coordinator

Kathleen Rivers, Assistant Coordinator

County(ies) Served:

New York State


Addictions (Other than Alcohol and Substance Abuse)Aggression/Anger and Oppositional DefianceAlternative Schools/Trade Schools/BOCESAnxiety DisorderAt-Home ServicesAttention Deficit/Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/ADHD)Autism Spectrum DisordersBipolar DisorderCommunity CareCommunity Living ProgramsCriminal Activity/Delinquency/Juvenile JusticeCrisis ManagementDay Treatment ProgramsDepression/Mood DisorderDevelopmental DisabilitiesDevelopmental Disability/Complex Health IssueEating DisordersExtreme or Inappropriate BehaviorHearing Impairment/DeafnessInformation and ReferralIntellectual Disabilities/Mental DisabilitiesLearning DisabilitiesLong-Term Care (LTC)Medical/Physical HealthMental HealthMental Health/Developmental DisabilityMental Health/Substance Abuse IssuesMotor/Physical DisabilitiesNeurological DisorderObsessive-Compulsive DisorderOppositional Defiance DisorderOut-of-Home/Residential CarePost-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)Residential Care/PlacementsRespiteSchizophrenia/Psychotic DisorderSchool Avoidance/RefusalSchool DisciplineSeizure DisorderSelf-Harm/CuttingSerious Mental Health IssuesSexual Acting Out/AbuseSkilled NursingSpecial Education/IEP/504 a or bSuicidal IdeationTransition PlanningTransitioning from Juvenile JusticeTraumatic Brain InjuryVision Impairment/BlindnessWithdrawal/Isolation/Sadness

Related Terms

complex issuescross-systemshard-to-placehard-to-servehtphtsmediationplacementresolution
Return to
your search results
Return to
all resources


In an Emergency, Call 911

Looking for help in
non-emergency situations?

Call 211 or
Call 311 in New York City

NY Connects

Suicide Crisis Hotline
1-800-273-TALK (8255) Toll Free
1-800-799-4889 TTY

Child Abuse & Maltreatment Hotline
1-800-342-3720, Toll Free
1-800-638-5163, TTD/TTY
1-800-342-3720, NY Relay

Vulnerable Persons Central Register (VPCR) Hotline
1-855-373-2122 Toll Free
1-855-373-2123 TTD/TTY

Family/Youth Support and Peer Advocacy

Information and support for individuals and families with behavioral, emotional, physical and/or mental health challenges.

Financial Assistance

Help given to a person or organization in the form of money, loans, reduced taxes, etc.

Legal/Civil Rights/Protective Services

Information regarding the discrimination against people with physical/mental disabilities, as well as information on protective services.

Training and Technical Assistance

Planning, development, delivery, and evaluation of activities designed to achieve specific learning objectives and help resolve problems.

Developed by the Council on Children and Families and Funded by the Developmental Disabilities Planning Council