Select language

Out-of-Home/Residential Care

Personal Allowance Manual

Resource Author/Owner/Service Provider

NYS Office for People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD)


This publication provides guidance on:

  • What personal allowance is
  • How personal allowance should be spent
  • How to comply with personal allowance rules
  • How to calculate the amount of personal allowance



Financial SupportsLearning DisabilitiesMoney ManagementMotor/Physical DisabilitiesOut-of-Home/Residential CareSelf-Directed Care

Related Terms

budgetexpensesgiftmoney managementrewardswork
Return to
your search results
Return to
all resources


In an Emergency, Call 911

Looking for help in
non-emergency situations?

Call 211 or
Call 311 in New York City

NY Connects

Suicide Crisis Hotline
1-800-273-TALK (8255) Toll Free
1-800-799-4889 TTY

Child Abuse & Maltreatment Hotline
1-800-342-3720, Toll Free
1-800-638-5163, TTD/TTY
1-800-342-3720, NY Relay

Vulnerable Persons Central Register (VPCR) Hotline
1-855-373-2122 Toll Free
1-855-373-2123 TTD/TTY

Developed by the Council on Children and Families and Funded by the Developmental Disabilities Planning Council